Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Why Do we Need to go to Church???

For the past year I have been working my hardest at getting people to come to church! I am constantly inviting people and trying to help them see the reasons why we need to go to church and how it will benefit their lives. So lets list some of the reasons why we go to church

- To partake of the sacrament and renew our baptisimal covenants and be cleansed from our sins
- To show God our love and faith in him
- To build our own faith by the things we hear and feel
- To follow the commadments God has given us
- To recieve blessings from God
- To build close relationships with fellow christians 
- To recieve personal revelation from God, answers our questions and concerns

The reason I want to focus on today is that last one...to recieve personal revelation from God.  I am so grateful to know that I have a Father in heaven who loves me and is willing to answer my questions.  Last week I went to a meeting and the speaker at the meeting had us all write down the questions that we had and to listen for answers throughout the meeting. As I sat through that meeting and pondered on my questions I recieved answers to all of them, either through something one of the speakers said or from a thought placed in my mind by the spirit. It was an amazing experience to remind me that I am important to God and he WILL answer my questions.  I know that as you come to church and have questions in your heart God will answer you! He wants us to be happy and to make right choices, pay attention to the things that are said and to the thoughts that come into your mind.  Personal revelation is amazing!!

I challenge you all next time you are at church to come with a question in mind and listen and seek an answer.  God will answer you!

I'd like to end with a quote from President Utchdorf

"In our learning, let us not neglect the fountain of revelation. The scriptures and the words of modern-day apostles and prophets are the sources of wisdom, divine knowledge, and personal revelation to help us find answers to all the challenges in life. Let us learn of Christ; let us seek out that knowledge which leads to peace and truth."

Check out these talks for more thoughts on personal revelation
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/to-acquire-spiritual-guidance?lang=eng

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1994/10/personal-revelation-the-gift-the-test-and-the-promise?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment